Tuesday, February 17, 2015

I told my kids...

Ex's past drug use was always a secret I never intended to divulge to our kids.  He'd promised me that it was in the past and that he'd never use again.  I believed him.  Now that it appears he might be using...or might just be mentally unbalanced...I was encouraged by multiple people to share the information with the kids.  The biggest fear was that the kids would be shocked and unprepared if their dad should OD.

Telling the kids felt like a betrayal.  I'd never promised Ex that I wouldn't tell, but it was an unsaid agreement that it was his secret to tell.  The kids had no response.  I don't know what I expected from my three introverted progeny but what I got was silence.  My youngest had facial expressions...shock and dismay.  I sometimes wish I could be a fly on the wall when they talk to their friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment